Meningitis can be a serious infection, and it can be contagious — which is why outbreaks make the news. However, it's also pretty rare. Meningitis is inflammation of membranes around the brain and spinal cord called the meninges pronounced: muh-NIN-jeez.
A British teenager has made a remarkable recovery after being the first patient in the world to be given a genetically engineered virus to treat a drug-resistant infection. Isabelle Holdaway, 17, nearly died after a lung transplant left her with an intractable infection that could not be cleared with antibiotics. After a nine-month stay at Great Ormond Street hospital, she returned to her home in Kent for palliative care, but recovered after her consultant teamed up with a US laboratory to develop the experimental therapy.
Let friends in your social network know what you are reading about. She scraped her big toe on her skateboard. Then this year-old Indiana girl nearly died of a flesh-eating bacteria.
The year-old boy was visiting family in Baltimore when he noticed something spreading on his leg, which doctors diagnosed as flesh-eating bacteria. A teenage boy from North Carolina contracted a flesh-eating bacteria while visiting family in Baltimore, and is now receiving treatment at an area hospital. Then he noticed something spreading on his leg, prompting his mother, Christel, to take him to the emergency room at Sinai Hospital. There, doctors diagnosed Kahlil with step bacterial infection and a flesh-eating bacteria.
G enetically modified viruses have successfully treated an antibiotic-resistant infection in a teenage girl, saving her life, researchers report today May 8 in Nature Medicine. In the study, a teenager from England was suffering from an infection with a strain of Mycobacteriuma relative of the bacterium that causes tuberculosis. The girl had cystic fibrosis CF and had been on antibiotics to control bacterial infections that cause complications related to the genetic condition.
Her temperature was up and surgery was needed to remove a chunk of her leg. Kylei is one of between and 1, people in the U. Earlier this year, a fisherman off Palm Harbor got it from a wayward hook.
I nan undergraduate in Durban, South Africa, found herself scraping muck from the underside of a partially decomposed eggplant. It was, in a sense, homework. She was taking a University of KwaZulu-Natal course on viruses that attack bacteria, and a semi-rotten vegetable seemed like a good place to find them.
Sixteen-year-old Kahlil Colkley from North Carolina was visiting Baltimore with his family when he started showing symptoms for strep bacteria. Over the course of a couple of days, Colkley developed a fever, chills and noticed something spreading on his leg. The hospital room was the last place he expected to be.
Three high school seniors swabbed a door handle, a smartphone and a hand dryer. They never expected to find anything truly new. But discoveries can turn up anywhere.
All rights reserved. A trio of Irish high-schoolers nabbed the top prize in this year's Google Science Fair with a project that speeds up crop growth by tapping into the naturally cozy relationship between soil microbes and plants. At harvest, the microbes increased barley and oats yields by as much as 70 percent. The improved sprouting speed is instrumental to farmers in Ireland, where seeds can rot in the damp soil before sprouting, Hickey said.